Monday, April 14, 2014

The Future of Final Fantasy

NOTE: Before I made my blogger account, I put Video Game discussions and Movie Reviews on my Tumblr (which explains this stupid highlight I can't figure out how to remove). After realizing how stupid that is, I stopped. I am particularly proud of the ideas I put here though, So I thought of re-posting it here. These were my initial thoughts after starting Bravely Default, while seeing the gameplay trailer for Final Fantasy XV. Enjoy.

So I've been on a Square Enix binge recently, by beating Kingdom Hearts on expert mode, Kingdom Hearts 2 on Proud mode, I am currently starting Bravely Default, and I will start Final Fantasy I, II, VI, and X, as well as finishing VII. You could say that I am in a heavy RPG mood currently. This has lead me to think about the future of the series. Now don’t get me wrong, Final Fantasy XV is reason number 2 I will be investing in a PS4 (look to the beginning of this post to guess number 1). But I feel as though this change in gameplay is a little to extreme. While XIII had a resemblance of a turn based RPG (I use that very loosely), XV is a straight up Action RPG. While not a bad thing, it is a bit suspicious that Square is releasing an action RPG, at least a year before their other action RPG. While I would be bitchy about the fact that Square is abandoned the traditional turn based RPG games that I love, maybe this new direction for Final Fantasy isn't such a bad thing! After starting Bravely Default, my optimism as this being the new turn based JRPG series from Square years from now has not faltered. So maybe Final Fantasy is blurring the line between itself and Kingdom Hearts a little too much, I am hopeful that the rumored Bravely Default II, will be something to look forward to down the line. So before you abandon Final Fantasy for being non-turn based, instead look at what the future could hold, in the changing of the guard at Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment