Movies
8. Jason Bourne:
I had only seen The Bourne Identity before stepping into this movie with my parents, who have seen all 4 before this entry (yes, even the one with Jeremy Renner). It was a fun action flick, had a compelling story, and had me interested. But outside of the car chase through Las Vegas, I can't remember too much. It was fun, I liked the characters and story just enough to be invested to the end, but became disconnected once the credits started rolling. I still want to see the Bourne 2 and 3, since I really enjoyed 1, but I might be fine if I never add Jason Bourne to my permanent collection.
7. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice:
While I did enjoy watching this movie, and I still can't wait to get the director's cut on Blu-Ray, this movie on a technical level and from a writing perspective. The movie juggles so many plot points that the main plot that is supposed to provide the cornerstone of motivation and character development is lost. I assume that the main plot is about Lex trying to get Batman and Superman to fight each other, but it is by no means the only plot thread. But to credit the movie, the struggle Superman endures, and the guilt he faces is powerful. Ben Affleck is the best Batman to date, and the fight scenes are incredible, with the highlight being the titular Batman v. Superman fight. I'd say that it is a bad movie, but one that I enjoy and would want to watch again. To put it simply, this movie is technically not better than Jason Bourne, however, I enjoyed this movie more, and remember much more, good and bad.
6. Sully:
Clint Eastwood is back at it again, and while he doesn't deliver something along the level of his other films, this still stands as a fantastic movie. This Flight movie, minus the drugs and the fiction, does a good job of putting us in the mind of Captain Sully in this less publicized story, behind the great performance by Tom Hanks, the suspenseful directing from Clint Eastwood, and even the levity of Aaron Eckhart. A great movie well worth your time, but wasn't quite as fun as the other films on this list.
5. Moana:
Disney strikes again with a fantastic animated movie. Moana has two lovable characters taking us through a very base level story highlighted by one Disney's best soundtracks, thanks to Lin-Manuel Miranda. The beautiful animation really pops with the rich color palette and matched with the excellent music, distracts from the fairly basic story, the one thing keeping this movie lower on the list. I can't honestly say this is one of my top 10 favorite animated Disney movies, it came close to cracking the list and is my favorite Disney movie since Wreck-It Ralph.
4. Deadpool:
I am really happy that this movie was not only good but a success. To see a movie that took (some) risks and was able to break stereotypes of comic book movies not only work as a movie, but also make money, should hopefully send a message to Hollywood that an R-rating should not be seen as a death sentence for certain genres (I'm looking at you DC). As a movie, Deadpool was hilarious and fresh, even if the story was very basic, starring a boring villain. Kind of like Moana the movie succeeds in the story support (characters, writing, cinematography) while the plot itself is very basic and cliche. The obvious joke to make is that Deadpool may have broken stereotypes for comic book movies, but it is itself very cliche. Hell, Disney has turned cliche-mocking itself into a cliche. But Deadpool was funny, and while I see it being usurped by its inevitable sequels. Think how quickly people forgot the great Batman Begins movie after the vastly superior The Dark Knight came out. But just like Batman Begins, Deadpool holds up well.
3. Doctor Strange:
Disney's Marvel universe was in need of a kick in the ass. After the "well I mean it was good..." Ant-Man, Marvel was in danger of milking the franchise dry before Infinity Wars. Civil War was basically an Avengers movie, so I looked to Doctor Strange to surprise me, and it sure did. A lesser known Marvel hero in the first stand-alone film since Ant-Man, this movie for me needed to be creative. Mess with the visuals a lot (not just 1 trip out scene), make me invested in the struggles of the main character (Paul Rudd did well to be sympathetic, but not too memorable). Stephen Strange is the first Marvel hero since Tony Stark to be at least a little unlikable; having too big of an ego and being rather selfish, his progression into a selfless hero through spirituality is relatable and refreshing. And not only do the visuals trip you out a few times, they work very well into the story and the fight scenes, the highlight for me being a fight scene in Hong Kong, with a unique twist. For those burned out on Marvel, I implore to plant yourself back into New York and give Doctor Strange a chance.
2. Rebel One: A Star Wars Story:
Going into Rogue One with the expectation that it is a spin-off is almost necessary, as not seeing the opening crawl almost gave me whiplash in the theater. The characters are likable (K-2SO comes to mind immediately) even if they aren't too great (Jin Urso was painfully boring). But the grit and action were very welcome to differentiate this entry from what will eventually be an annual franchise. A fun adventure with passable characters, punctuated by a fantastic climax, all the way from Rogue One leaving Yavin 4 to Darth Vader being the baddest man alive. A great popcorn film that gains quality by being a Star Wars movie
1. Captain America: Civil War:
You can go ahead and call this Avengers 3 because while Captain America has the focus of the movie, other characters get an appropriate amount of focus. Iron Man, Black Panther, The Winter Soldier, and Scarlet Witch all have some character development and are appropriately sprinkled in for the perfect pacing. The rest of the ensemble gets almost no development but were established in previous movies, and their incorporation into this movie is natural and smooth, with the exception of the MCU introduction of Spider-Man, which seems like a last second edition to make the most of Disney getting the rights to the character. The biggest complaint I have for this movie is a heavy spoiler, so here is your
SPOILER WARNING: This movie ends too nicely for a movie called CIVIL WAR. Tony and Steve are at each other throats ideologically for the whole movie, and it's clear that relationships are torn after that fight in Serbia, but the movie implies that Steve and Tony are on good terms by the end, and it's dumb. Marvel needs to grow some balls, and do 1 of two things: kill off a main character or fracture a long-standing relationship that shakes the team to its core. Killing Rhodey or having Steve and Tony still being mad at each other by the end would provide some much-needed stakes to the franchise, despite the fact that it's implied that Steve is stepping down as Captain America.
END SPOILERS: Regardless, this movie is fantastic, and was the most fun I had in the theaters this year, coming from a Batman fanatic.
Surprise: Deadpool:
I also wanted to put Doctor Strange for kicking some momentum back into Marvel for me (and for enjoying it more), but Deadpool was able to be funnier than I thought, it had some serious balls, and the biggest surprise for me is the success. I'd like to think I'm self-aware enough to know that just because my peers and I like something doesn't necessarily mean that it is for everyone, and therefore successful. But the fact that a ballsy movie like Deadpool made bank is very surprising and welcome.
Disappointment: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice:
It should be known that "disappointed" is not the same as disliked. I like this movie and would enjoy repeated viewings, but I am still disappointed in the final product to some degree. Firstly, Lex Luthor (Jr.?) was terrible. Whether it was Jesse Eisenberg or the writing, something wasn't right. The story was muddled and poorly paced, and some characters were not given enough time (Jimmy Olsen, Alfred, Diane Lane/Wonder Woman and Perry White), and the dialogue was rather stilted ("You should not pick a fight with this person" is the first thing that comes to mind). Hopefully, the extended edition is better like I've heard.
Video Games
9. Pokémon GO (iOS/Android):
I played a LOT of mobile games this year. Is it because they're free? Is it because they're easy to access? Is it a correlation that the 5 mobile games I've played this year are directly tied to franchises I really enjoy (Pokémon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts)? Regardless, I played a lot of mobile games, and the one I enjoyed the least is this one. The concept is cool, and the social aspect is fun, but the game itself is lackluster and drab. The game itself is boring, and despite some polishing, the game has had since launch, I can't play the game for too long. Hopefully, they add more to the game to make it more of a game.
8. Mobius Final Fantasy (iOS/Android):
This game is fun, and the gameplay is unique, but 2 things stop this from being better. 1, the battery usage, my battery drains when I play this game. And 2, the characters and story. Like another Final Fantasy mobile game, I will be covering later, the story is released gradually, so I can't say for certain how the game's story pans out, but the main character Wol is rather boring. His relationship to the other characters and line delivery is trying so hard to be "cool" it's cringy. The story itself Final Fantasy veterans will notice as a remake of Final Fantasy I (even though the land of Palamecia is from Final Fantasy II). Wol = Warrior of Light, Garland and Princess Sarah show up, and Chaos is the main villain. Final Fantasy I is a very bare bones story, so remaking it with a better emphasis on story is a good idea. However, the only real addition is some over complication revolving around blanks and some intrigue revolving around Wol being the only person not obsessed with a prophecy that he seems to fit into. I can't wait to see if the story develops the characters and world better, and I see the seeds of doubt in the prophecy hopefully leading to some interesting character development. Now for the game itself, it's fun, the number of jobs add some great variety, and the game is GORGEOUS. Final Fantasy veterans should definitely give this game a go, but newbies should not necessarily jump into this entry right away.
7. Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club (PC):
This is the game I recommend the LEAST on this list, considering how niche this is. It's a dating sim game about a group of rather niche internet content producers (all working for this website.) I heard about this game since I follow all of these content creators, and their anticipation for this absurd idea was known as soon as the game was announced on Kickstarter. I don't really like dating sims, and even though the cliches rampant in this game are ones indicative of the genre, I liked the tongue-in-cheek irony the game acknowledges in these cliches, and the inside jokes I was aware of since I know these entertainers' previous works. As a dating sim, I guess it works. I don't know too much of the genre to say if it is groundbreaking, but the game is streamlined to be easier on multiple playthroughs, something necessary in the genre. I love the artwork, and the writing is great, right down to the characterization of the main characters, as all the characters are unique and likable. This passion project appears to have a lot of care put into it, and for the low cost of free, any fans of both dating sims and Normal Boots (you know, that very large and expansive demographic) have to take a look.
6. Kingdom Hearts Unchained x (iOS/Android):
A great mobile game, that might have the 4th least amount of gameplay depth (sorry Pokémon GO) involving just organizing medals, without getting multiple moves/characters; but the gameplay is fun and involves just enough strategy to work with the somewhat bland art style, great music, and mixed well with my own personal attachment to Kingdom Hearts. The direct tie that the game has to the timeline of the franchise made this a much more necessary entry for me to play but stands well as an entertaining mobile title. Again, not for everyone, but if you enjoy Kingdom Hearts, this might be something to consider getting just to pass a half-hour in a day.
5. Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius (iOS/Android):
For my money, the best mobile game on the market. While the story is not all out, I really enjoy the characters, plot, world and progression. This feels like a real Final Fantasy game, and the gameplay is fun and engaging, reminding me the most of the main series this is based on. Great visuals, music, and story, is being a mobile game the only reason this isn't higher on the list? Yes and no. While mobile games don't have to be automatically bad, the structure of this being a free mobile game ruined the pacing. I've spent MONTHS grinding levels in order to progress the story, and still can't figure out how to get my units to get even stronger. But the game is so fun, beautiful and pleasing to the ears that I'm not too concerned. There is still a bar to entry, as various status effects may be lost on newbies, but if you want to jump into RPGs, and only have a phone/tablet, consider downloading Brave Exvius.
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice (3DS):
I love the Ace Attorney series. This 6th entry in the franchise is the first one where I had played the previous entries before launch, meaning this was one of my most anticipated releases this year. While it doesn't reach the heights of Trials and Tribulations (3), Dual Destinies (5) or even the first one, this solid entry wraps up a lot of key plot points (like developing Apollo and Trucy more, while still leaving the question of Trucy's real mother a "mystery") while also providing great courtroom battles. Case 4 may be the worst in the series for the fact that it is boring and contributes nothing to the story at all, the other 5 cases are a blast to play and provide a lot of fun and unique twists that keep you on the edge of your seat. The game juggles too many mechanics for its own good, like Phoenix's Magatama, Apollo's Bracelet, Ema's Forensics, Athena's Mood Matrix, and the newly introduced Divination Séance. The balance isn't quite there; the new Divination Séance gets a lot of time, as expected for a new gameplay mechanic, showing up in 3 of the 6 cases. The Magatama and Bracelet get used twice, while the Mood Matrix is used as often as possible, however, the forensics is used appropriately. I appreciate them returning some fun mechanics from previous entries, but the focus is lacking. The emphasis, however, is on the story, and the story is great and ends satisfyingly, mom cliffhangers non-withstanding (a cliffhanger that was introduced in the 4th entry mind you). The new characters are fun, and while the main prosecutor is a piece of shit for most of the game, he is slightly redeemed in the end (even if it doesn't forgive his self-righteous attitude for the whole game...). Obviously, being the 6th entry in a series, I wouldn't recommend this to those unfamiliar with the first 5 entries. But the original trilogy is perhaps one of the best trilogies in gaming and is available for about $20 on the 3DS store and even iOS store, so go there and see what you think.
3. Fire Emblem Fates (3DS):
I was not a big Fire Emblem fan before Awakening. I had beaten Shadow Dragon, but that was my extent of fandom. Awakening intrigued me, but I wasn't rushing to the store to get it. When I was finally convinced to get it, I became a Fire Emblem junkie, delving into previous entries (which fans of the franchise may recognize as a tall feat). I share this, because Awakening was a radically different entry in the franchise, and is decisive among fans for what it changed. Fates retains a lot of these changes, and for my money, they're for the better. While it makes the series more accessible to newbies, it still retains the series' ball-crushing difficulty. The story can feel a little melodramatic at times (take a shot every time someone says "[Name]..." while the voice actor grunts), but balances a lot of hard and conflicting themes that clash well with the likable characters, a tall feat since they had to develop the main avatar, 8 sibling characters of different ages across 3 different stories, along with an army of supporting characters. But what really shines here is the gameplay. Technically, this is 3 separate campaigns, each the length of a full game, but all 3 weave together to create a whole story worthy of the $80 price tag for all 3 of them. This game is certainly a black sheep, changing a lot of the series' core mechanics, like weapon durability, a change to how master seals work, and so on. But these changes adapt well to how the game plays (weapons are harder to come by in this entry, seals are given out at a higher cost, etc) and makes the game feel fresh and new, one that will last long after new entries are released. Awakening may still be the start point I want all new Fire Emblem fans to go to, but Fates (Birthright specifically) is a great #2.
2. Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS):
Bravely Default is one of my favorite games of all-time. I went into that game expecting a fun little RPG adventure and got so much more. I share this because I realized before this game even came out that this entry could not possibly replace Bravely Default in my heart, no matter what it did. I came to peace with that fact and still ended up with the perfect follow-up. Half of the first games' heroes return for this entry, with some necessary polish to the gameplay mechanics, and a great soundtrack. On a technical level, this game improves on every aspect of the first one, while only taking a slight downgrade in original songs. Some great tunes stand out, but the best songs in the game are ones taken from the first entry. The story itself I may not have been as invested in, but the emotional connection I felt with every single character in the first game could not have been surpassed, and I still was very invested in the plights and successes of each character. I may have gotten sick of gravy by the end of the game (just an hour into the game and you'd see why), but the writing is still fantastic, and the story takes some great turns, on par with the original entry. If I had to go back to play either entry, the gameplay improvements may lead me towards Bravely Second over Bravely Default (enhancements made to the special attacks immediately jump to mind), even if the first is still my personal favorite. Those familiar with the first will get the most out of this sequel, but newbies can still get a lot out of this entry.
1. Final Fantasy XV (PS4):
If it wasn't apparent by this point, I LOVE Final Fantasy. I haven't been waiting for this game to release for 10 years like other fans, but I was eagerly anticipating this release, actively involved in the cavalcade of extra content relating to this game, like the movie, 5 episode mini-series, mobile games (I didn't include Justice Monsters FIVE because it's a mini-game in XV) and even the three Florence + the Machine songs. But the game stands head and heels over everything else that accompanies the game, in every aspect. This game feels truly unique, and the action RPG gameplay is wholly unique to the main Final Fantasy entries, and really any other game ever made. The car you get to traverse the expansive and packed overworld is wonderful, and the amount of stuff to do is staggering. This game can suck hours upon hours of great combat and exploring before you can even get halfway through the story itself, which is also fantastic. It's hard for me to say for sure if the story stands very well on its own or not since a lot of the other media add some context to the plot, but I thought the story progressed very well, minus a few pacing issues at the end. There were some other things I would have like to have seen, like further character development for Ravus and Ardyn, and even though I think that will be touched upon in DLC releases, I think what was missing should have been in the full game. But as a standalone $60 game, the story works well enough to provide good motivation and carries a lot of weight in the emotional moments. When a certain major character dies halfway through the game, I may have been sad because of the other media that I saw, and the development he/she gets after her death (through flashbacks); but in the standalone game, there needed to be more development for him/her. But oh my God, the four main characters are so amazing, even just doing some menial side-quests are a real joy, because these four best friends bounce off each other so well in combat, world trekking and everywhere else, that they feel so REAL. I loved being on an adventure with these guys, and am so looking forward to each of the three supporting characters getting a DLC pack. The gameplay is so fantastic, packed with content, exciting and fun, that having to buy DLC to get more story and gameplay is a price I am more than willing to pay. The game opens by saying this is a Final Fantasy game for fans and newcomers alike, and while I am inclined to say that every Final Fantasy game is for newcomers, since none of the main entries are directly tied to each other, this is a very accessible game for those new to the game, and even the genre, while also being familiar enough with it's themes and such to be loved by fans. Simply put, this game succeeds on every level, and I can't wait to finish this list in order to go play it again.
Surprise: Kingdom Hearts Unchained x (iOS/Android):
Kingdom Hearts Unchained x may have been the original release of the game outside of Japan, but I did participate in Kingdom Hearts x, a web browser game. Maybe it was because the whole game was in a language I couldn't read, maybe because I was using cheap campus WiFi to connect to Japanese Yahoo! servers in order to play it, but I HATED Kingdom Hearts x. It was boring, slow and mindless. A few minor changes to the game's structure were for the better because I enjoyed the mobile entry much more. Even with features still to come, the game has enough to be a fun time waster, which is all I want out of a mobile game.
Disappointment: Pokémon GO (iOS/Android):
I wanted this to be so much better than it was. This barebones paper toss game has little to keep people engaged, even after some post-launch polishing by Niantic. Pokémon fans will enjoy what this has to offer, but anyone else would get bored after just a little time in the app.
And because I like the Top Down Perspective podcast, here are my Top 5 games that I played in 2016 that wasn't released in 2016. This is to cover what I really enjoyed while scouring through my backlog.
5. Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS/Android) (2015):
The last mobile game I've put too much time into. Different from the others, while using a very similar mechanic involving drops and such. A great nostalgia trip of adventures past and a fun game to pass the time, but it is still just a mobile game for me.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider (360) (2015):
I played both Tomb Raider (2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider this year and instantly fell in love with them. These are open world games, that earn the right to be open world, as they do an excellent job of not giving you too much to distract you, while also having enough content to make some return trips. The cold mountain setting isn't as fun as the previous entry, but the gameplay refinement and additions are what put this one on my list.
3. Rocket League (PS4) (2015):
A very simple concept done so well that it becomes way too addicting. I foresee myself wasting a lot of my time desperately trying to get a bicycle kick into a goal with a friggin van. Well worth the $20.
2. Final Fantasy VII (Steam) (1997):
Yeah yeah yeah, I jumped onto this "best game ever" a little late, and while my praise isn't that high for it, I loved this game. The story, characters, music, and simple gameplay make this an adventure I wouldn't mind experiencing again. I may have said Final Fantasy XV is the most accessible entry in the franchise earlier, but as far as turn-based RPGs go, this is the first Final Fantasy game you should play. Then immediately play Final Fantasy VI.
1. Red Dead Redemption (360) (2010):
One of my top 10 favorite games ever. This open world is so fun to just explore, just like Rockstar's other franchise, Grand Theft Auto. Unlike that game, however, there is a real incentive to follow the law, unless you want to go full evil, in which that could be rewarding too I guess. But unlike the Grand Theft Auto stories, this story is very emotional. The grit and realism of morals are here as well, but the soundtrack accompanies the situation perfectly. The song that plays as John Marston makes his way to see his family again is especially moving. And when the ending hits, it hits hard. The gameplay surrounding this wonderful narrative is even better, as the shooting is very tight, the horse riding is satisfying as all hell, and the map is big enough to make sure you're busy for quite some time. A great game that I can't wait for when the sequel hits.
No comments:
Post a Comment