Background
Those who saw the Switch announcement video in October saw the following things:
-The Switch will be a portable console, which plays off of a TV, but when a screen in removed from the system dock, becomes portable and can play anywhere. Now this isn't a handheld, as this still performs as powerful as a normal console, but the "Switch" refers to the switching from "docked" (TV play) to portable (on the go).
-The Switch has a deconstructable controller. There is a handle that holds two Wiimote shaped controllers, that functions as a normal controller, but can disconnect and attach to the sides of the docked screen in order to "Switch" to portable mode. These two small controllers are the main controllers; and they function as 1 controller when paired, attach to the docked screen to start portable play, and are even usable independently, for multiplayer action. The two independent controllers don't even need to be connected to be used by a single player. The final controller seen is a single non-deconstructable traditional controller.
-Instead of using traditional Blu-Ray discs (like the previous WiiU, and the current PS4 and Xbox One), the system accepts a unique cartridge inserted onto the top of the screen, whether it's docked or not.
-Multiple Switch consoles can be played locally for multiplayer. Two separate Switch consoles are shown to be playing together at an outdoor basketball court (for reasons I cannot comprehend), with the two independent small controllers being used by a total of four people, across the two systems.
-Games were shown: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Mario Kart 8, NBA 2K17, Unnamed Mario Game and a Splatoon game, though it is unclear if it is a port like Skyrim or MK8, or a sequel like the other 3 games.
The Switch's Release Date and Price
The Nintendo Switch, originally called the NX back when it was still in development, has been public knowledge as far back as 2015. So amazingly, it has never had a price or release date announced, which is even more shocking when you realize that the release date is March 3rd, 2017. The only other time I can recall a system announcement and release of said system being that close together, was the Sega Saturn, which in turn failed because the system was available for purchase the same day it was announced, not giving retailers enough time to stock it. So needless to say, this was a ballsy move, "announcing" a system and releasing it 50 days later. But what was most surprising, was the price. The system will launch for $299.99. Remarkably, that is a STEAL for a new console, as the PS4 launched for $399.99 and the Xbox One for $499.99. Naturally, console prices drop well after the first year of sales has passed, but for a system to launch at that price is great.
Nintendo Switch Online Services
Not much is said outside of a couple of things. The online will connect to smart devices (phones, tablets, etc.) and will function as mediums for play appointments and chat rooms. The services will be free from launch until fall when a fee for online will start. My thoughts are I like the mobile integration, but I am disheartened to hear that Nintendo has decided to charge for online services. If it means a quality upgrade, I'm fine with that, but ever since Microsoft charged for online play with Xbox Live, Sony and Nintendo have since decided to follow suite, meaning that only PC will allow free online gaming. It's a trend I don't look forward to, but Nintendo has a history of having bad online gaming.
Region-Locking
For the uninitiated, Region-Locking is the practice of not having a copy of a game that was made for Japanese games work on systems not compatible with Japanese consoles. This is done to control national markets for game sales but is widely criticized. Say for example that a Japanese-American wanted to play a game released only in Japan, or say that a Nintendo fan from England moved to America, and wanted to bring his system with. Unfortunately, the Japanese-American would have to also buy a Japanese console to play the Japanese only game, since it wouldn't play on his American console and the English-American would have to import his games from Europe since his console cannot accept games he could buy in the US. So for the first time in Nintendo console history, Region-Locking will not be on the Switch. I don't feel particularly affected since I can't speak Japanese, and therefore have no use for games entirely in Japanese, but it's good to see Nintendo allowing more freedom with its games.
Switch Details
This segment goes into more detail on how the system works, which was sort of showed off in the October video. But now we have the names for the independent detachable controllers, Joy-Cons. We also have detailed on battery life, which is stated to range from 2.5 to 6.5 hours, depending on the game, but can be played while charging. Finally, it states that up to 8 Switches can be played locally for multiplayer at a time.
The Joy-Cons
The General Producer for the Nintendo Switch gives an in-depth look at the Joy-Con features. He explains that even independently, each controller is complete in the way of buttons and features. The main new addition is a capture button, similar to the PS4's share button, linking gameplay captures onto social media. Each Joy-Con functions as an improved Wiimote, with a more accurate range of motion and functionality. They come with attachable wrist straps, also adding more buttons. One of the Joy-Cons as a mini Microsoft Kinect in it, that is able to see what is in front of the camera, as well as how far away the object is. The second one is HD rumble, a rumble feature so precise, it feels like a glass full of ice cubes. I'm not smart enough to go into the details, so look into it if you need more details. Not related to the Joy-Cons, but the non-deconstructable controller shown in October are not included with the system, while everything else is (minus the games).
The Games
So here is the best part, the games, in order of their announcement:
- 1, 2, SWITCH - A simple party game, that uses the Joy-Cons as controllers with a variety of minigames, that require the opponents to face each other, instead of the screen. Not much depth, but for a small price, it looks valuable for family get-togethers. Launches 3/3/2017.
- Arms - A bizarre fighting game, that has two people boxing each other in a large ring. But Nintendo can't have it be that simple, so, of course, the opponents have long stretchy arms that reach across the ring. The catch? It's controlled with the Joy-Cons motion capabilities and uses the new accuracy to pull off technical moves. Combos are performed through motion, instead of the traditional button combinations. If the technology is as good as advertised, it looks like a fun and unique fighting game. Launches Spring 2017.
- Splatoon 2 - While I did not play the first installment in 2015, I am eagerly anticipating diving into this unique team-based shooter. It seems to be the same as the previous entry with some new weapons, items, maps, characters, and possibly a new story. More of what worked is good for me. Launches Summer 2017.
- Super Mario Odyssey - Oh my God YES. This game looks absolutely incredible. Super Mario Galaxy is still my favorite Mario game, but I feel the franchise needed to go back to the Sandbox style only used in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. This is a return to form and then some. The wide variety of world styles and themes is a joy to the eyes, the music in the trailer, while not as grand as Galaxy's soundtrack, sounds light and bouncy, and the story is hilarious. Not much is said, but Bowser and Peach are being married, and I'm assuming we are supposed to stop it, given Peach's horrified look. But Bowser looks fresher than the Prince of Bel-Air. The new gameplay feature of throwing Mario's sentient hat appears to be more than just an attack, as Mario is also able to move differently with the moves his hat gives him. Oh, and Mario is able to ride a giant Lion looking beast, so that's cool too. Minus the very realistic looking people the cartoony Mario stands next to on several occasions, this game looks beautiful. I love Mario games, and this looks absolutely fantastic. Launches Holiday 2017.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - The first game was an expansive game, story rich, and had unique gameplay, and I am awaiting the opportunity to venture back to the world Monolith Soft has crafted. With ACE+ returning for the music, You can bet I'm following this game's eventual release. No Known Release Date
- Fire Emblem Warriors - Hyrule Warriors launched in 2014 to widespread acclaim, for being a great installment in the expansive Dynasty Warriors franchise, and a great incorporation of the great Legend of Zelda franchise, a personal favorite of mine. I loved the Zelda incorporation, and the gameplay was new to me, so I enjoyed diving into this new franchise, and it appears I will be doing so again with another franchise I am a huge fan of. No Known Release Date.
- Dragon's Quest X, XI, and Heroes I & II - I am not familiar with the Dragon's Quest games, so I have no frame of reference for these 4 games, not even if they've been released before since I know a lot of the games were only ever released in Japan. All I know is that the Dragon's Quest Heroes games are the same style as the Dynasty Warriors games are I mentioned above, so there's that. No Known Release Date.
- Shin Megami Tensei V - I played Shin Megami Tensei IV and did not like it, so I do not care. It is a turn-based RPG that had promise but was clunky and hard to get a feel for. Hopefully, this one is not as frustrating, though. No Known Release Date.
- Project Octopath Traveller- An interesting presentation, a turn-based RPG, and it's being made by Silicon Studios, the same guys who made Bravely Default, one of my all-time favorite games. So needless to say, I'm stoked. No Known Release Date.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Possibly the definitive edition remake that released for PS4 and Xbox One recently coming to the Switch. Still a game from 2011 though. No Known Release Date.
- No More Heroes 3 (Working Title) - I have not played the other 3, but have heard they are fun and exciting so I might consider getting this one. An action game featuring a dweeb turned badass wielding a lightsaber killing assassins. Sounds fun? No Known Release Date.
- FIFA - I don't care. Launches Sometime This Year.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - OH MY SWEET JESUS I WANT THIS GAME IN MY LIFE. We already have a lot of knowledge in this game, since it was announced in 2015, but will still have new stuff to see. To cram all the stuff we know about this game into one paragraph is fighting a losing battle. So all I'll say is that this game is gorgeous to look at, the music touches me emotionally, the cinematics of this game is unlike anything the franchise has ever done before, the scale is incredible, the gameplay is new and unique, and I could go on and on. I will get this game, and I will be SO DAMN HAPPY. I try to contain my excitement for games until after they're launched, to avoid disappointment, but I can't help myself. This game looks like pure joy, and I can't wait to put hours upon hours into it just exploring this great, big and personable world. Launches 3/3/2017.
There are some other things to mention before I finish. 1, the live event was shown in Tokyo, and so the broadcast featured live translators, which seemed to work, except for 2 specific instances. When the guy presenting Splatoon 2 (Why isn't it called Spla2n?) came out, you could hear he was energetic, and even struck a few poses. But what made it worse was the monotone translator. Imagine watching the dance from Napoleon Dynamite but all the audio is just a narration by Ben Stein. The worst offender was the one for Goichi Suda for Suda51's game No More Heroes 3. Suda has a reputation for being, well, crazy, but the translator not only had problem's keeping up with Suda, he also was in monotone, a stark contrast to the energy Suda was trying to convey. Obviously, language barriers are hard to overcome, but surely they could have done better. Finally, here are some trailers for games that are on Nintendo's YouTube page, but were not part of the presentation.
- Super Bomberman R - A classic multiplayer game about blowing up your friends, featuring a big co-op story mode. Never played a game from the franchise before, so I look forward to jumping into this installment. Launches March 2017.
- Puyo Puyo Tetris - Two classic puzzle games come together for multiplayer battle fun. I love Tetris, and I have played and enjoyed games similar to Puyo Puyo, so this looks right up my alley. Hopefully not for full price, though. No Known Release Date.
- Sonic Mania - A new Sonic game released in a style not seen since the 90s 16-Bit era, Sonic Mania looks like high paced fun and a great platformer like the old days of the Sonic franchise. Looking forward to when this hits shelves. Launches Spring 2017.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Part of me loves this. It's Mario Kart 8, but with an improved battle mode, more characters, more stages, and more items. Unfortunately, I got Mario Kart 8 and its DLC, so I'm being shafted. I spent $80 in order to play this, and the improved version is still yet to come? I still got my $80 worth on the original for the WiiU, but still. This better be offered at a discount. No Known Release Date.
So that does it. Nintendo has since stopped production on the WiiU, confirming everyone's suspicion that this was the future for Nintendo. I'm excited (except for the paid online), and I am really looking forward to what the new system is offering. Oh, and also, I SERIOUSLY CAN'T WAIT FOR ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD HOLY FRIGGIN PISS.
No comments:
Post a Comment