Here are my reviews for each of the Best Picture nominees:
Arrival - I cannot get into all of the things I love about this movie without spoiling it rotten, but just know that this might be one of my favorite movies ever. The cinematography is beautiful, the sound is great, and the story was visceral and gripping. From the word go, this movie is so real and gripping, and the emotional trail that you travel goes from scary and timid, to a new emotion that matches the characters. mood successfully changes, and the movie demands you go along for the ride. It tackles some big themes like the importance of language and empathy. Unfortunately, I can't gush for too much longer, because most of the genius in this movie, along with the amazing twist, would sully a unique experience. So check it out for yourself.
Fences - Netflix won't be releasing the DVD until March so I will be watching this later...
Hacksaw Ridge - What a badass movie. I knew nothing about Desmond Doss before this movie and I'm so glad Mel Gibson brought this story to life. This action-packed and graphic story is so gripping and entertaining, I'm glad I own it for my personal collection. I had heard this was the next Saving Private Ryan. Honestly, I should have believed that just like I should have expected a Mel Gibson movie to have so much blood and guts. This movie gets the exposition in the first half very well, and I found no pacing issues in the hour of set-up. But let's not kid ourselves, the last half of this film is what we want to see, and it's worth the price for entry. Mel Gibson knows how to direct action and intensity, so the fact that the battle for Okinawa was so inspiringly and gritty shouldn't be a big surprise but was so enthralling that I had a joy not being surprised. One big moment that stands out is Desmond Doss getting back from Hacksaw Ridge for the first time (that honestly shouldn't be considered a spoiler) and the greeting he gets from some of the men that chastised him days before. The heroism and bravery that Desmond had that day/night is perfectly captured by Andrew Garfield and Mel Gibson, and I can't wait to watch this one again.
Hell or High Water - Certainly not a ground-breaking movie, this bank robbery flick is certainly an entertaining one. Hell or High Water is not action oriented, and in fact, the action is fast and real as to heighten the tension of Chris Pine and Ben Foster's actions. The movie has a good parallel running between Jeff Bridges and the bank robbing brothers and creates an atmosphere where there are no clear protagonists and antagonists. When stuff starts going down in the 3rd act, the internal conflict that the audience has carries all the way through the ending and lets this movie stand as a memorable experience. Outside of that, I can only attribute a lot of the uniqueness to the setting, resembling this movie to that of a western. Fortunately, this movie takes full advantage of the West Texas setting the tone, story, and even comedy. A definite fun popcorn flick featuring some good performances from the 3 main leads.
Hidden Figures - One of the best things a film can do is surprise you. That feeling you get when a film exceeds your expectations of "good" into "great". It's why Bravely Default is one of my favorite games ever. Unfortunately, Hidden Figures is an example of why surprises exist in the first place. If you've seen a commercial for this movie, you know how it starts, how it progresses, and how it ends. This is not to say that the ride you take is bad, just predictable. This is also not to understate the performances. Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monáe, and Octavia Spencer do a wonderful job portraying three very smart and courageous women in NASA. Kevin Costner, Kristen Dunst, and Glen Powell also turn in good performances in their respective roles. Jim Parsons even does what he does best, play smart assholes. The cinematography is good, the music is good, the pacing is good, it's all good. But it's just that, GOOD. Nothing stands out from the pack. There are no surprises, no twists, nothing that is put in to challenge audiences. The only thing that I can see being different is that the portrayal of 1960's America doesn't have every white person in the film explicitly hating black people, although that conflict is a central theme of this film. It is a film I recommend, although not one I will be racing to the video store to buy once it is available. It's only the second best film this year featuring a Kennedy (Jackie) and only the second best film featuring Janelle Monáe and Mahershala Ali (Moonlight). Good, but not great.
La La Land - I have a confession to make. I actually love musicals. Yeah, the guy who basically has the Die Hard trilogy memorized even feels compelled to sing along to a good musical. And not just the Disney movies, Singing in the Rain is high on my list of great fun movies. And La La Land does a good job reeling in fans of those old Gene Kelly musicals. The lighting, sets, tone, music and upbeat story are all unmistakably a classic 50's musical for the modern age. The old day nostalgia injects itself into every aspect of this film and makes you feel good, and this is evident in the very first scene, a large choreographed song, and dance in LA gridlock. And even though I walked out of the film disappointed in the ending, I listened to the soundtrack, and actually found the beauty in it. That said, it's still a bittersweet ending, emphasis on the bitter. However, this is not going into the biggest reason I love this movie. This movie really speaks to me on a personal level. Mia (Emma Stone) has dreams of making it in Hollywood, and reaches many roadblocks: failed auditions, a failed self-made play but eventually continues taking the risks necessary to become a star. This is punctuated by the Oscar-nominated song "Audition (Fools Who Dream)" and even a conversation had in the movie. Her risks and bold leaps to chase her dreams is opposite to Sebastian, who plays it safe to make a steady living. I think the themes of deciding whether or not to risk it all and chase your dreams or play it safe and make a steady living is something almost everyone can relate to and is even a theme tackled not as subtly in Zootopia. Holy hell, what a fun amazing movie, a film riding a rollercoaster of emotion that leads to some very satisfying scenes. I'm definitely watching this one again, after looping the soundtrack several times.
Lion - A very compelling story of reaching the lowest of lows followed by reaching the highest of highs, and having that eat you on the inside. Dev Patel, despite playing the main character, does well in his somewhat limited role. This movie does feel very predictable and somewhat mechanical in the first two acts progress, even if it is gripping. Of course, this is a very good movie that I would recommend if you want a feel good movie night if you're willing to sit through the somber 3rd act. A very well made movie that raises awareness to a good cause.
Manchester By the Sea - This is a movie so heartbreaking, I considered taking a dose of my anti-depressants after seeing it. The story follows Lee Chandler played by Casey Affleck, as he takes care of his nephew. The premise is simple, and as you're about to see in my Moonlight review, a lot has to come together in order for this to work. Fortunately, this film is brimming with great actors bringing their best to the table. An incredibly emotional journey that is almost taxing to those who cannot relate to Lee Chandler (Casey Affleck) and the struggles he goes through in this film. Hacksaw Ridge was not for the faint of heart, due to the very gritty violence. This movie is not for the faint of heart due to the mental warfare. One particular scene that stands out is the final scene that Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams (both nominated for Oscars this year) on screen together, the context for which I dare not give away. A film I'm not too eager to jump back into due to the extremely somber tone, but one that I am glad I saw.
Moonlight - A very real and visceral experience, planting the audience in the seats of the life of a gay black boy growing up in a bad part of Miami. Fortunately, the gay part is not overplayed and is just part of his multi-faceted personality. He's written like a character, not a gay character. The movie is divided up into three parts, each chronicling a few days that shaped his life. Each story deals with the relationships he has with four main groups: his biological mom, his "adoptive parents", his best friend Kevin, and the bullies. Each part focuses on these relationships to varying degrees, and the progression of these relationships is the linchpin of the progress of the story, and they play a big role in shaping Chiron from 10 to 26. This movie needed to lean on its writing and directing, featuring some acting greenhorns, in order to be compelling. Fortunately, Barry Jenkins did a fabulous job making this film. A little uncomfortable, but that is by design. A definite watch if you are a film snob.
Ranked (Best to Least Best)
Arrival
La La Land
Hacksaw Ridge
Moonlight
Manchester by the Sea
Hell or High Water
Lion
Hidden Figures
Sorry Fences
No comments:
Post a Comment